70 sq. m.
Interior elements of Amber suite resemble the famous Amber Room of the Catherine Palace, 8th wonder of the world and the remarkable art masterpiece of the 18th century which vanished without leaving a trace during the Great Patriotic War. In the beginning of the 18th century architect Andreas Schluter created a project of amber room for the royal residence in Charlottenburg palace according to the decree of the Prussian king Friedrich the First. But due to enormous expenditures the decision to reduce size of the gallery up to the size of an ordinary room was taken. In 1716 Amber room was given to Peter the First as a diplomatic gift for the sake of strengthening the union Russia – Prussia. During 30 years it was stored in the Summer Palace in dismantled condition. When empress Elizaveta Petrovna ascended the throne, she ordered to use the cabinet for decoration of her private quarters – firstly in the Winter Palace and then in Tsarskoe Selo. In 1941 German troops entered Pushkin. The room was dismantled, packed, sent to the station Severnaya and afterwards to Koenigsberg by train. After 1944 the Amber room disappeared: there are several versions of its evanescence and further destiny. Later on various attempts to identify its location were undertaken, however, traces of the Amber Room were not found. More than 10 years ago the renewed copy of the Amber Room took its honoured place in Tsarskoe Selo. The official opening happened on the 31st of May 2003 during the celebration of St.-Petersburg`s 300 anniversary.